Skip to content
Facts About Avignon:
- Avignon is a city on the Rhône River in the south of France.
- Avignon was named the European Capital of Culture in 2000.
- The centre of Avignon was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1995.
- Avignon is twined with: Colchester, United Kingdom; Guanajuato, Mexico; Diourbel, Senegal; New Haven, Connecticut, USA; Siena, Italy; Tarragona, Spain; Tortosa, Spain & Wetzlar, Germany.
- The city of Avignon has an area of 64.78 km2 .
- Avignon has 173 sites and buildings, that are registered as historical monuments.
- A famous theatre festival is held annually in Avignon. Founded in 1947.
- On 16 May 2007 the commune of Les Angles in Gard ceded 13 hectares to Avignon.
- Avignon is the administrative capital of the Vaucluse.
- The first foundations of the city were around 539 before the birth of Christ.