Archaeological Museum of Alicante also known as MARQ is a museum created in 1932, that offers its visitors an interesting and wonderful experience throughout the historic journey, rooms that are dedicated to the history of Prehistory, Culture, Iberian, Middle Ages and Roman Culture.
The museum was inaugurated on July 1, 2000, and it’s housed in a contemporary building designed by the architect Alberto Campo Baeza. The MARQ focuses on the history of Alicante and the surrounding region, presenting its archaeological heritage through various interactive and educational exhibits.
The Museum has unique pieces dating back to 100,000 years ago and hundreds of pieces of items that have been created from prehistory to the Middle Ages.
The museum’s design and displays aim to engage visitors in a dynamic and immersive way, helping them understand the cultural evolution of the area from prehistoric times to the present day. Technology is also used to display the past and audio-visual presentations to give you a more detailed experience of the past history.
- Exhibits featuring artefacts from the Paleolithic, Neolithic, and Bronze Age periods, provide insights into the daily life, tools, and artistic expressions of ancient inhabitants.
- Displays showcasing the material culture and lifestyle of the Iberian people, who inhabited the region before the Roman conquest.
- Artefacts and displays related to the Roman presence in Alicante, including architecture, mosaics, pottery, and everyday objects.
- Artefacts highlight the medieval history of the region, as well as the influence of Islamic culture during certain periods.
- Modern and Contemporary History: The museum also addresses more recent historical developments and the cultural evolution of the region up to the present day.
MARQ’s modern approach to presenting history includes the use of multimedia, interactive installations, and creative exhibit design. This has made it a popular destination for both locals and tourists interested in exploring the rich history of Alicante and the surrounding area. Usually takes up to 2 hours to explore this wonderful history.
|Official Name||Archaeological Museum of Alicante|
|Curator||Public (Diputación de Alicante)|
Plaza Dr. Gómez Ulla, Alicante, 03013, Spain