Largest Artificial Islands
Artificial Island is an artificially Man-made Island, they are structures that have not formed naturally but constructed by Humans for a number of different reasons. Artificial islands may vary in size depending on what they are designed to be used for, tourism, military or civil use etc.
List of the Largest artificial islands according to their size
|Island Size km2
|Abu Dhabi, UAE
|Kansai International Airport
|Hong Kong International Airport
|Palm Jebel Ali
|Chūbu Centrair International Airport
|Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
How do you build an Artificial Island?
The first thing you require for an Island is to have a base to build on. Islands don’t float in the water, an Island is just land above sea level, to make the island bigger you need sand and a lot of sand enough to make the ground more stable after the sand is placed, you need concrete and again a lot of concrete. that’s the simplest description of how to build an Island.
Advantages of Artificial Island
- Reclaiming land from the sea and can increase the land area of a country.
- Artificial Island can be built to your liking, any size and any shape.
- Increase national defence of a country or increase tourism.
Disadvantages of Artificial Island
- The cost of an Artificial Island, the process isn’t cheap and money so you require a lot of money.
- The process of constructing an island could take years.
- A danger of damaging and destroying marine and coral life.
China’s artificial islands
Recently the People’s Republic of China is constructing seven artificial islands around the south china sea. The biggest artificial Island is situated on the Fiery Cross reef covering around 110,000 Square Metres. Military base, a runaway and watchtowers and even underground tunnels.
Other artificial islands are located in Mischief Reef, Subi Reef, Cuarteron, Gaven, Johnson South and Hughes reef.
PIN IT FOR LATER!