The Palace of Tau was built between 1498 and 1509 on the site of a former Gallo-Roman house and was later reconstructed between 1675 and 1690 by Robert de Cotte and Jules Hardouin-Mansart. The Palace of Tau is a mediaeval palace and the Palace of the Archbishop of Reims.
The Kings of France were dressed for the coronation at the palace before going into the cathedral. The first coronation banquet took place in 990 and the most recent banquet was in 1825.
In 1793 the palace became public property and was used for a number of court, trading halls, barracks and was used as a prison, it was then restored for the coronation of Charles X in 1825 and the large perpendicular wing along the Rue du Cardinal de Lorraine was overhauled by Viollet-le-Duc plans. The Palace became a national monument and was listed as a Historic Monument in 1907.
The First World War during the bombing campaigns the building suffered a number of damages and only the walls survived. The Palace was restored after the War ended and reopened to the public as a museum in 1972.
The Museum contains part of the old cathedral’s statuary and tapestries, as well as the royal attire for the coronations and the treasury of the cathedral. Palace of Tau name originates from the buildings T-shaped form,” tau” in Greek, “Tau” was first recorded in 1131.
The Palace is currently being managed by the Centre des Monuments Nationaux. UNESCO World Heritage Site inscription: 1991
Palace of Tau Tapestry
Palace of Tau Reliquary
Palace of Tau in Reims Contact Information
Telephone: +33 3 26 47 81 79 | Official Website |
How To Get There
Gare de Reims Train Station located on Cour de la Gare is only 12 minutes (1km) away by foot. Walk north-east on Cour de la Gare towards Rue du Colonel Driant 17 m, Turn right onto Rue du Colonel Driant 7 m, Turn left to stay on Rue du Colonel Driant 130 m, Turn left onto Boulevard Foch 19 m, Turn right onto Rue Thiers 170 m, Turn right onto Place Jules Lobet
11 m, Turn left onto Cours Jean-Baptiste Langlet 70 m, Turn left to stay on Cours Jean-Baptiste Langlet 3 m, Turn right to stay on Cours Jean-Baptiste Langlet, 350 m, Continue straight onto Rue Carnot 10 m, Continue onto Rue du Trésor 76 m, Turn right at Rue Guillaume de Machault 43 m, Turn left onto Place du Cardinal Luçon 56 m, Turn left to stay on Place du Cardinal Luçon.
|Tuesday||09:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Wednesday||09:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Thursday||09:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Friday||09:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||09:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Sunday||09:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
Closed dates: 1st of January, 1st of May, 1st of November, 11th of November, and 25th of December.
|Group Ticket 20+ People||€6.50|
|Price for Schools||€30|
|Combined Ticket – Tour De La Cathedral de Reims|
- Function: Palace.
- Part of Cathedral of Notre-Dame, Former Abbey of Saint-Rémi and Palace of Tau, Reims.
- The average duration of an individual visit: 105 min
- attracts around 100,000 visitors each year.
- Gift and book shop
- Monument fully adapted to visitors in a wheelchair: ramp and lifts
Nearby Things To Do
Museum of Fine Arts is 210km away from the Palace, 3 minutes walk. Museum of Fine Arts is an 18th-century setting for paintings & furniture, including works by Cranach, Corot & toiles peintes.
Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Reims is next right to the Palace, you can explore the Palace and then visit the cathedral, just like the kings of France did, visited to Palace and later entered the beautiful cathedral.
WHERE TO STAY IN REIMS
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible budget under £100/$100/€100:
- Holiday Inn Reims Centre Located just 400 yards from Reims Convention Centre, Holiday Inn Reims Centre is ideally located in the historic centre of Reims, and it features the only panoramic restaurant in Reims and a bar. check price.
- La Demeure des Sacres Located in the centre of Reims, La Demeure des Sacres is set in a 20th-Century property and offers boutique-style accommodation with a large garden. The Reims Cathedral is just 350 yards from the B&B and Reims Convention Centre is a 10-minute walk away. check price.
- Logis Hôtel Au Tambour Located 1,000 yards from Reims city centre, this Logis Hotel is just a 15-minute walk from the town centre, train station and Reims Champagne Congrès. It offers a heated outdoor swimming pool and private parking in garages. Check Price.
Nearby places to stay at a budget price over £100:
- Grand Hôtel Des Templiers located in Reims, just a 15-minute walk to the city centre and an 8-minute drive from Reims Convention Centre. It features an indoor swimming pool and a sauna. Check Price.
- Les Suites Champenoises is set in Tinqueux in the Champagne – Ardenne Region, 2.7 miles from Reims city centre. Offering 2 sun terraces and a hot tub. Check Price
Visiting Reims? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
Address: 2 Place du Cardinal Luçon, 51100 Reims, France | Coordinates: 49°15′11″N 4°02′04″E
[su_button url=”https://isolatedtraveller.com/european-cities/Reims” style=”flat” background=”#000000″ size=”6″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right”]Explore Reims[/su_button]
PIN IT FOR LATER!