The Porte du Peyrou is a monument dedicated to King Louis XIV of France, known as the ‘Sun King’, built in 1693 and designed by François d’Orbay. François d’Orbay is one of the most famous French architects who was involved in building the notably Le Louvre and Versailles.
The building design began in 1690 and in 1693 the Porte du Peyrou was complete, situated at the eastern end of the Jardins du Peyrou, on the foundations of the old city walls. the Jardins du Peyrou towers above the city 15 meters in height and 18 meters wide. The Porte du Peyrou was based on the Porte Saint-Martin in Paris.
These reliefs show four major events from the reign of Louis XIV, rendered as allegories:
- The capture of Namur during the War of the Grand Alliance, in which the figure representing the Dutch Republic kneels before Louis XIV.
- Louis in the figure of Hercules being crowned by Victory.
- The digging of the Canal du Midi that links the Bay of Biscay with the Mediterranean Sea.
- The Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
Looking for Walk Tours in Montpellier? There are entire books with self-guided walking tours.
Here some of our favourite.
HOW TO GET THERE
- The Nearest tram line is the ‘Plan Cabanes’ stop, 7 minutes walk from the Plan Cabanes stop to the Porte du Peyrou.
Accessible only through the guided tours of the Tourist Office.
Nearby to See
The botanical garden ‘Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier‘ is only 4 minutes away from the Porte du Peyrou. you can also visit the Montpellier Cathedral 1 minute away from the Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier.
Where to Stay In Montpellier
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible: budget under £100/$100/€100.
- Best Western Hotel Le Guilhem, A16th-century residence located in Montpellier, next to the Jardin des Plantes, with panoramic views of the garden and St Peter’s Cathedral. is in close proximity to the Place de la Canorgue and Peyrou Promenade. check price
- Hotel du Palais, situated 200 yards from the Peyrou Gardens and 150 yards from Place de la Canourgue, set in a 200-year old building. The hotel is 650 yards from Place de la Comédie, 0.6 miles from The Corum conference centre and 0.6 miles from Montpellier Train Station. Montpellier – Mediterranee Airport is 5.6 miles away. Check Price
- Appartement de l’Amandier, Located in Montpellier historic centre, Appartement de l’Amandier offers self-catering accommodation. The property is 150 yards from Promenade du Peyrou Park, 550 yards from Montpellier National Opera and 900 yards from Polygone shopping centre. Montpellier Train Station is 750 yards away. Check Price
Nearby places to stay at a budget price over £100/$100/€100+.
- Résidence Coeur Comédie, a 3-minute walk from Place de la Comédie.Mediterranee Airport is located 5.6 miles from the property. Résidence Coeur Comédie offers self-catering accommodation in Montpellier. Check Price
- Villa Cyrano, a 3-minute walk from Corum, 750 yards from the Fabre Museum and 1,000 yards from Place de la Comédie. Private parking is available on site. Housed in a 19th-century building, Stade Yves-du-Manoir is 4.3 miles from Villa Cyrano, while Montpellier – Mediterranee Airport is 5.6 miles from the property. Check Price.
Visiting Montpellier, France? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
Address: Rue Foch, 34000 Montpellier, France | Coordinations: 43°36′40″N 3°52′20.5″E
[su_button url=”https://isolatedtraveller.com/european-cities/Montpellier” style=”flat” background=”#000000″ size=”6″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right”]Explore the city of Montpellier[/su_button]
Enjoyed this post? Save it for later on Pinterest! Share the Love