Lange Nelle Lighthouse is a lighthouse in Oostende, Flanders, Belgium, situated on the Belgian coastline of the North Sea, the first lighthouse was built in 1771 and the current lighthouse tower opened in 1949, its the tallest lighthouse in Europe standing at 190 ft and 213 ft above sea level.
In 1994, The lighthouse tower was painted white and blue waves. The Light from the lighthouse can be seen 50km, it uses the Fresnel Lens Lighting System. Lange Nelle Lighthouse tower has 324 steps and can be switched to emergency gas if the electricity fails.
Lange Nelle Lighthouse was designed to guide the North Seas Fishing trawlers safely into the Ostend harbour.
The Lighthouse is not open to the public and it can’t be climbed.
- Height: 189′
- Opened: 1771
- Year first lit: 1949
- Range: 164,055′ 0″
- Year first constructed: 1771
- Construction: concrete and brick tower
WHERE TO STAY IN OSTEND
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible budget under £100/$100/€100:
- Hotel Ambassadeur, only a 5-minute walk from Oostende Beach, a lively touristic area with shops and restaurants. It offers newly renovated rooms with flat-screen TVs and a fish specialities restaurant on site. Check Price
- Hotel Rubens, only a 4-minute walk from Oostende Beach, The accommodation offers a terrace. property is located 750 yards from Casino Kursaal. Check Price
- Avenue Beach Hotel, Only 4-minute walk from Oostende Beach! Located only 300 yards from the sandy North Sea beach in Oostende, Avenue Beach Hotel offers rooms with free Wi-Fi in the centre of town. Check Price
Nearby places to stay at a budget price of £200 – £400:
- Hôtel Bero, only a 3-minute walk from Oostende Beach! Hotel Bero is only 150 yards from the beach in the centre of Oostende and benefits from a modern bar. An indoor swimming pool, a sauna and a steam bath are available in Ninfea Leisure Centre on site. Check Price
- Logis Hotel Glenmore, Glenmore Thalasso & Spa is located at the Belgian Seaside, only 50 yards from the sandy beach in Oostende. It features a fitness area and wellness facilities and offers rooms with a free breakfast buffet. Check Price
Visiting Oostende? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
- 10 Interesting facts about Ostend
- Fort Napoleon, Ostend
- Barquentine Mercator
Address: Buskruitstraat 183, 8400 Oostende, Belgium | Coordination: 51°14′10.8″N 02°55′49.7″E
[su_button url=”https://isolatedtraveller.com/european-cities/Ostend” style=”flat” background=”#000000″ size=”6″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right”]Explore Ostend[/su_button]
Enjoyed this post? Save it for later on Pinterest! Share the Love